DIY Pattern Weights

I love the idea of taking an inexpensive item and putting it to use as something else. Case in point: metal washers turned into pattern weights. The use of pattern weights allows you to keep your sewing pattern flat while tracing and cutting out fabric. I find pinning patterns to fabric kind of annoying, so instead of buying weights I wanted to make my own.


I purchased 5 pieces each of 1/2" and 1 3/8" wide flat washers from a hardware store (like these) and wrapped them in scrap yarn. That's it! Quick, simple and super cheap. You can use glue or a small piece of tape to hold down the start of the yarn. Clip and glue down the end or use a crochet hook to pull the end through the beginning loops before clipping. In total I paid less than $2 for the washers. 

What do you use when cutting patterns: weights or pins?

1 comment:

  1. I use more pins than weights. Most times I am not cutting on my cutting mat so pins are the only option :)

    ReplyDelete